Take time off. Take that vacation.
Why do I always have to remind myself of this?
It’s in my nature to work. I’ve always enjoyed what I do.
I like to say: “I’m going to live to 120 and work ’til 118”
Truth is, taking the time off needs to be part of the job. So many benefits like:
- Recharge batteries
- See your company/role from a different perspective (see the forest)
- Foster personal relationships (i.e. marriage)
- Meet new people
- Learn from other cultures/perspectives
- Try new experiences
- Discover new foods
- Make new memories (collect more stories)
- Time to think/reflect
- Appreciate what you miss from home
So, make sure to use that PTO.
You’re a better person for it.
It can enhance your overall performance.
FYI, I like to do things that accomplish multiple goals.
This post accomplishes 4 things (that’s a big win for a small post!):
- Share a lesson/reminder that might be helpful to you.
- Re-enforces this message within myself by writing these words.
- Accomplishes James Altucher “10 ideas a day” exercise for today.
- Gets me back into writing overall (I’ve been lagging lately). Tip: Writing is very good for you.